The Kumeyaay Community College Archives is dedicated to preserving the cultural knowledge of our ancestors and the knowledge of our current Elders. Support of our Elders as they instruct our communities in the “Way of ’Iipay/Tiipay” is primary. The Kumeyaay Community College Archives is the primary repository of documents, books, diaries, field notes, and other culturally significant items for the Kumeyaay/Diegueño Nation. Some collections may hold documents and material pertaining to other Native American people. In conjunction with the staff and instructors of the Kumeyaay Community College, the Kumeyaay Community College Archives will provide support in research, education, publishing, and linguistic preservation in order to expand the understanding of traditional cultural knowledge. The Kumeyaay Community College will continue to acquire, catalogue, and preserve individual collections of cultural importance to the Kumeyaay/Diegueño Peoples as they become available.
The Kumeyaay Community College and the Kumeyaay Community College Board of Trustees has been formed under the authority of Tribal law of the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation. The Board of Trustees are representatives of reservations of the Kumeyaay/Diegueño Nation. They reflect the culture and mores of the Kumeyaay People and as such the Kumeyaay Community College Board of Trustees will have sole discretionary control over the policy and procedures of the Kumeyaay Community College Archives.
All items, volumes, and Collections in the Kumeyaay Community College Archives are owned by the Kumeyaay Community College. The Kumeyaay Community College Archives will be maintained and preserved for the Kumeyaay/Diegueño Peoples. The Kumeyaay Community College Archive Contents will never be sold, traded, assigned or destroyed.
http://tiffanyashleybooks.com/inc20k1.php PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING MATERIALS
1) Each Researcher must submit a “ buy Lyrica mexico Researcher Application” form for every research project in order to establish his/her identity, and to assist the Archives staff in locating potentially useful sources. (Data from this form will be kept confidential, but the applicant authorizes the Kumeyaay Community College to use the data for statistical and research topic summaries).
2) Sign the guest register.
3) Only one tray or volume of requested material will be issued at a time. Photographs are normally made available one folder at a time.
4) The Researcher is responsible for returning all materials to a staff member; no materials may leave the Archives, nor may they be transferred to another Researcher. Authorized Kumeyaay Community College personnel wishing to borrow materials will need to fill out a Loan form and get permission from the Board of Trustees. The Archive staff reserves the right to restrict the use of unprocessed collections, materials of exceptional value or items in fragile condition.
5) As a security measure, the Archives reserves the right to inspect all articles used at the reading tables. While in the reading area, please store coats and personal belongings (briefcases, knapsacks, purses, etc.) in the area provided for this purpose.
CARE OF MATERIAL
1) All materials must be handled with care. Do not bend or fold materials. Marks may neither be added nor erased; tracing and rubbing are prohibited. Loose sheets and volume pages should be handled by their edges. Please do not touch the surface of photographic prints. Cotton gloves (supplied by Archives) must be worn in certain circumstances.
2) Remove only one folder from a tray at a time. Do not remove material from folders. Maintaining the exact order of material in a folder within a tray is extremely important. If a mistake in arrangement is discovered, please call it to the attention of the staff person; do not re-arrange material yourself.
3) Due to the potential harmful residue from ink, only pencils may be used for taking notes in the Archives. In addition to archival materials, pencils and papers will be provided for an approved researcher.
4) Digital, and electronic equipment, including but not limited to camera phones, are prohibited in the Archives.
5) Smoking, eating and drinking are prohibited in the Archives.
DUPLICATION, CITATION AND PUBLICATION
1) The Kumeyaay Community College owns the copyright on all images and collections based in the Kumeyaay Community College Archives. Please contact the Archivist for additional information about reproduction, duplication, publication, or citation of archival materials.
2) Duplication information is provided in the “Request for Photographic Services” forms, available from Archive staff.
3) The Archives staff will consider requests for photocopying unless it will cause damage to the original or violates copyright law.
4) Staff will perform all copying for the going rate per image. Photocopies are only for the private study of the Researcher, who agrees not to transfer copies to other repositories or further reproduce them or to publish any part of them without the written permission of the Archivist. Please do not alter the order of the collection or remove items. To identify what materials you wish to have copied, use acid-free paper slips, available from a staff member. Write on a slip if part or all of a collection is to be copied. A postage and duplication charge will be applied to mail requests.
5) Citation information is provided in the “Examples of Citation” sheet available from Archive staff.
6) In the event that this research becomes a source for publication, the Kumeyaay Community College Archives requests a copy of the publication. If a copy is unavailable, please send us a bibliographical note.
7) Materials obtained from the Kumeyaay Community College Archives must receive credit in print or publication as “Courtesy of the Kumeyaay Community College Archives.”
8) Duplication of photographic prints and other materials may be available upon request. Researchers will be charged duplication expenses.
ARCHIVE ACCESS AND RESTRICTION OF USE
1) While every effort will be made for Tribal Members and Qualified Researchers to have access to the Kumeyaay Community College Archives collections for their study(s), certain sensitive items may remain fully restricted at the sole discretion of the Kumeyaay Community College Board of Trustees, or the donor.
2) All access to the Kumeyaay Community College Archives collections will be by application. All applications for access must be approved by the Kumeyaay Community College Board of Trustees. Approved applications will be forwarded to the Archivist.
3) All Researchers are duly bound to the guidelines set forth in the Kumeyaay Community College Policy and Procedures for Archives for use of archive materials. Signature on the Research Application form identifies consent to comply with archive policies and restrictions.
4) For the protection of its collections, the Kumeyaay Community College Archives also reserves the right to restrict access to records which are not arranged, are being processed, or are exceptionally valuable or fragile. In some cases copies may be substituted for originals. Responsibility for infringing upon copyright rests with the Researcher and not the Kumeyaay Community College Archives.
ARCHIVE (COLLECTION) LOANS
Loans of specific item(s) in a Collection may be made to an Academic Institution, Museum, or Cultural Center. Loans will only be considered for a defined purpose within the scope of the Mission Statement and for a period not to exceed 90 days. All loans will be by application on the Kumeyaay Community College Archive “Loans” form and must be approved by the Kumeyaay Community College Board of Trustees.
DONATIONS AND GIFTS
Anyone interested in donating to the Kumeyaay Community College Archives should contact the Archivist for further information on the Kumeyaay Community College Archive’s “Accession Policy.”
INSTITUTE OF MUSEUM AND LIBRARY SERVICES
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of federal support for the nation’s 123,000 libraries and 17,500 museums. Through grant making, policy development, and research, IMLS helps communities and individuals thrive through broad public access to knowledge, cultural heritage, and lifelong learning.
For more information about the Kumeyaay Community College Archives, please contact: 619-445-6914 Ext.100